Education in New Zealand is a student-centred pathway providing continuous learning progression and choice so that:
- students progress every year, and
- their learning at one level sets the foundation for the next steps along a chosen pathway.
New Zealand’s education system has 3 levels:
- early childhood education — from birth to school entry age
- primary and secondary education — from 5 to 19 years of age
- further education— higher and vocational education.
Our education system reflects our unique and diverse society. We welcome different abilities, religious beliefs, ethnic groups, income levels and ideas about teaching and learning. We have processes in place to give our students consistent, high-quality education at all levels.